Friday, February 04, 2005

Just Writing

Today I am writing to be writing. What will come of this?

I went on a Spiritual Formation Retreat last weekend. Seems God is trying to tell me that I have eaten enough and slept enough. It’s time to come out of the cocoon. Hmm, what will I be? A beautiful gentle flowing butterfly that makes people stop and admire the beauty of God’s creation in me? Or an annoying moth frantically fluttering toward the Light hanging on to those who are as transparent as I’d like to be.

The entire retreat was an encounter with God holding up a mirror I wasn’t sure I wanted to look into. Who am I? The Tin Woodsman from the original story of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz? (written by L. Frank Baum in 1899) I’d never heard of the book that inspired the movie. I’ve never been a fan of Oz but I think I’d like the book.

What keeps me from sharing myself – being authentic? Is authentic something I can become or is it a lifetime process?

Sunday evening brought another amazing encounter with God. This time it involved some of my authentic self (alone in my car) shouting commands at satan. Whew, that was pretty cool. God’s power in me is exciting while at the same time a little frightening. What could God do through me if I truly allowed Him to – if I was truly authentic all the time? What could He do through His Body if we all were authentic all the time? The thought is mind-boggling!

Here’s what I think would happen:
1) Christ followers would unite (no more denominations)
2) Seekers would believe because they would see Christ rather than individuals in the unity. They wouldn’t wonder why there are three churches within a mile of each other – or side by side!
3) There would be a significant chasm between believers and unbelievers
4) And maybe, just maybe, Christ would answer the call of believers today as stated in Revelation 22:20 “Amen, Come Lord Jesus.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lisa
Keep writing--God is stirring something in you that also creates a stirring in others.
Lynn B

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission