Saturday, December 27, 2008

Faith or just beliefs?

A living faith takes risks based on beliefs.
A living faith isn't always constrained to our strengths.
Becca Zinn, Vineyard Community Church of West Philly
 
What is God asking of you? 

I'm in this spot that I'm ready to be wild and adventurous. Actually, there's been little time in my life when I wasn't ready for adventure. Recently though, it seems the biggest adventure has been rearranging furniture just to have something different. 

I love listening to messages like the one the quote came from above. I get fired up and ready to do something. Then I just can't figure out what it is I'm supposed to do. So I wait. And that's ok because I do see God doing things. A dream here, a conversation there. Everything that is going on in life seems to have the anticipation of a burning fuse moving toward a very thrilling burst of energy - like a fireworks display.

I don't think I'm unusual though. I think God does this for every person who seeks after him. He invites us to participate in what he is doing. 

Think of the most exciting thing you have seen in action - a professional ball game, a beautiful performance of any kind, anything that you enjoyed and you know that it took lots of talented individuals working together. Now imagine the one in charge of that event inviting you to be involved in making it happen. You say you don't have the skill to help and the coordinator responds with oh, that's no problem. I'll give you the ability to do it. Anything that doesn't turn out just right, I'll fix it.

That's what God offers each of us. It is a big production intended to involve lots and lots of people - all who believe. The big finale is expected to be far greater than any of us could ever ask or imagine. Far greater than any of us could do without each other and without him.

Sound exciting? Want to prove you believe what God is capable of? Saying you believe is easy. Living your faith, well, it's a whole lot more exciting than just believing.

What is God inviting you to do? Still not sure? You are not alone. Find someone you look to as a spiritual mentor. Talk it out and have them pray with you. That's what I'm planning to do. 

Maybe it's just knocking on a neighbors door to introduce yourself. Whatever it is, let's not miss it. Make 2009 the year you go beyond believing and start living your faith. It's worth the risk.


No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission