Monday, March 14, 2005

Sit Down

Copyright © Lisa Biggs Crum

Exodus 17:12 “When Moses’ hands grew tired, they took a stone and put it under him and he sat on it.”

The remainder of that verse tells of Aaron and Hur holding up Moses’ hands. The Israelites were at war with the Amalekites. As long as Moses had his hands raised to God, the Israelites were wining.

This scripture is often used to emphasize our need of support from others when we grow tired and weary in our battles. Today, I saw something different. Before they stood beside him supporting his arms, they placed a stone for Moses to sit on.

Here comes the “ouch” part of this lesson for me. Sometimes, I just need to sit down and let other people do the work. Sitting down doesn’t mean I give up or leave the scene. It simply means I recognize my limitations and the strengths of others and trust God to be in charge.

That can be a difficult task in leadership. At least for me. I tend to want to have my hands on everything that’s going on. God has brought outstanding strength along side me and offered me a stone to sit on. There is a part of me that wants to be the strength. Although, when I sit and do just my part of raising the banner of God, it is so peaceful.

There is no doubt those God has brought beside me are much better at what they are called to do than I am. A warm sense of awe overwhelms me when I sit with them and hear and see what God is producing through them. I’m thrilled to be a part of it.

May I always remember that sitting on the stone can be as significant in the battle as those on the front line. “‘Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.” (Zechariah 4:6)

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission