Sunday, April 24, 2005

Misplaced Hope

© 2005 Lisa Biggs Crum

John 11:25 “Jesus said to her, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live even though he dies.’”

Where is your hope? Is it in Jesus or in the event of the resurrection?

In John 11, Jesus’ good friend Lazarus dies. Martha meets Jesus with “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

This seems to indicate that she believed Jesus could raise Lazarus from the dead. However, when Jesus states that Lazarus will rise again, Martha assumes he is referring to the final resurrection of all the dead. That’s where Jesus responds in verse 25 with “I am the resurrection….”

The second part of Jesus’ response is what caught my eye today. “He who believes in me will live” is a significant statement. He does not say he who believes in eternal life will live. How many “Christ followers” are “believers” because they want to live forever? Is our focus on Jesus or on the reward?

Matthew 16:25 (NLT) “If you try to keep your life for yourself, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for me, you will find true life.”

To understand this concept a little better, think about children. It is my desire to teach my children to be responsible whether I am standing over them or not. If I give them a reward for every good thing they do, will they learn to be responsible or will they seek rewards? Those who believe doing “good” is the way to eternal life have missed the point of the reward.

Consider employees. What is a “brown-noser?” It is one who is more interested in the power of the boss than in the purpose of the boss.

Where is your hope? Are you following Christ because you believe in him? When something doesn’t go your way, do you still believe in Him?

Matthew 6:33
(NLT) “and he will give you all you need from day to day if you live for him and make the Kingdom of God your primary concern.”

Luke 17:20-21 (The Message) Jesus, grilled by the Pharisees on when the kingdom of God would come, answered, "The kingdom of God doesn't come by counting the days on the calendar. Nor when someone says, "Look here!' or, "There it is!' And why? Because God's kingdom is already among you."

Eternity is here. Believe in Him and live.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission