Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I Want to See

"What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him. The blind man said, "Rabbi, I want to see."

Mark 10:51

Yesterday I wrote some thoughts on mercy based on the blind mans plea in Mark 10:47-50. The next verse sent me into some deep reflection this morning.

After we recognize our wretchedness and we face Jesus responding to our plea, what do we want him to do for us?

Now a lot of sermons are preached on our need to reverse that question and ask Jesus what we can do for him. But we can’t do a thing for Jesus until he does this one thing for us.

“Rabbi, I want to see.” Rabbi is a teacher. When we acknowledge someone as a teacher we are indicating they have the ability to influence our lives with insight we don’t have.

My daughter loves to do for others. This week she has been trying to do the right things but seems to get herself into more trouble because of the way she does the task. She will do exactly what I ask but she fails to see the result I expect.

We can be that way with Christ. Our desire to do for him can be great but if we don’t see things the way God sees them, then there is little chance that our service to him will be meaningful.

Oh Lord, give us eyes to see what you see.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission