Thursday, September 21, 2006

Can't Sleep

Be still and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.
Psalm 46:10

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight
Proverbs 3:5-6

I rarely have trouble sleeping. When I wake up stressed over a project or life issue, I begin to doubt myself. Why did I volunteer for this? I don’t know what I’m doing! This is not going to turn out as I envisioned. How do I get this stuff done along with all the other stuff I feel like you’ve really called me to do, God? I am not gifted in event planning. Ok, maybe this was a mistake. Maybe this wasn’t your idea. So now what?

That’s what was on my mind at 5:00am this morning. At 5:20 I opened email. A friend had forwarded a piece with the above verses. Coincidence? I don’t think so.

This is not the first time God has sent flesh to get a message to me. The real kicker is those thoughts – be still, trust God – were also going through my mind as I lay restless in bed. But I was more focused on the negative thoughts.

Do you ever do that? You sense God trying to affirm and comfort but you prefer to struggle with the doubts. It’s pretty much a life long thing for me. Years ago, that character trait in me took me away from God completely. A miracle brought me back to him.

He was always there but I refused to listen to his still small voice. Refused is probably not the best word. It was more like aggressively debated it. Even that sounds nicer than the memory of my emotions during that period of my life. Now, my times of doubt don’t last as long because I know what it feels like to trust him. And that is exactly where I want to be.

Here area some other favorite verses that are coming to mind as I still my mind to listen to him

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy;
I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
John 10:10

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:27

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

I can sleep because He will be exalted regardless of what I do. And that is really the purpose of life.

May the peace of Christ be with you today whether you face tasks of choice or life issues beyond your control.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was the riminder I also needed. Thank you!

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission