Sunday, October 07, 2007

Do you fear evil?

When Jesus got out of the boat, a man with an evil spirit came from the tombs to meet him.... No one was strong enough to subdue him…. When he saw Jesus from a distance, he ran and fell on his knees in front of him. He shouted at the top of his voice, "What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? Swear to God that you won't torture me!" For Jesus had said to him, "Come out of this man, you evil spirit!" ...The demons begged Jesus…. He [Jesus] gave them [the demons] permission…. From Mark 5:2-13

Wow! Can you picture this scene? A man who no one could restrain, came and fell at Jesus feet. This man was the manifestation of many evil spirits. Do you know anyone that evil?

Look what this evil man did not do. He did not charge at Jesus. He did not argue with Jesus. He did not run from Jesus.

Why do we fear evil? Evil fears Jesus!

If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. John 15:7

These are the words of Jesus. Do you believe him? Are you in Christ or do you settle for just having his words in you? There is a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very thought provoking!!

"Why do we fear evil? Evil fears Jesus!" I never thought of it like this before. I don't know if I fear evil exactly but I steer completely clear of it when I see it.

"Are you in Christ or do you settle for just having his words in you? There is a difference." As a pastor's wife, I recognize a potential sermon when I see it! Sometimes my Bible reading becomes so routine I think the later is true of me. I'm always striving for that first one, though!!

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission