Monday, April 28, 2008

A God Sandwich

I love it when God unexpectedly reveals something new from a very familiar piece of scripture. Yesterday, at The Church at North Pointe, Pastor Kevin Dudley delivered a new visual for me of Psalm 23. It was powerful because I struggle regularly with the tension between pushing forward and giving up. Look at it with me.

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want…
he leads me beside quiet waters…
He guides me in paths of righteousness…
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life.
~ Psalm 23:1-3, 6

Do you see it? God is in front leading us AND he is behind us with his goodness and love. We are in a God Sandwich.

Pastor Dudley encouraged me in my circumstances with this statement. When you feel like turning back, giving up, God’s goodness and love is right there saying “no, no, keep going forward!”

As I apply that to my life, I know that God’s goodness and love is different than the supernatural leading of God. Following God requires trusting Him with the unknown. Behind me is a known path filled with God’s presence in my physical life. It is those experiences of God being Real that encourage me to keep following the Shepherd, My Shepherd.

God is Real! He goes before you and he is behind you. You are in a God sandwich.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission