Saturday, July 05, 2008

Suffering

Question and scripture references from The Way of Agape by Chuck & Nancy Missler p.33

Why does God allow trials in our lives?
Read: Deuteronomy 8:2-3; Psalm 107:25-28; Acts 14:19-22

If the Kingdom of God is not here and active now, Paul’s statement “we must go through many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God” would not make a lot of sense. If “salvation” means believing Christ died then sitting comfortably waiting for the transit system to the Kingdom, then hardships and suffering would be a cruel punishment. God is not cruel.

There are two kingdoms present and active. The kingdom of Satan is fighting to keep the Kingdom of God from being built up.

Sometimes God leads us into a desert to make us hungry for him. Sometimes God afflicts us to remind us we are not strong enough in ourselves to live without him.

Sometimes Satan sends the attacks against us as part of the war of the kingdoms. He will always fight our efforts which are intended to benefit others and build up the Kingdom of God. Therefore, our source of strength and our battle plans must be from the stronger power – God.

God does not leave us at these times. He is with us offering his peace, comfort, and strength to get back up when we’ve been wounded in the war of the kingdoms.

I’ve experienced all three of these examples of suffering. Sometimes I’ve turned away from God in anger. Sometimes I’ve been so weak in my hungry for truth, I’ve almost given up searching for him. God has always been faithful. He has comforted me in my times of grief and shown me that He is all I need. He has opened my eyes to my attempts to be judge and ruler over my life. And he has strengthened me when I’ve been wounded in the battle.

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission