Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Yippee! The Election is Over

For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God. So anyone who rebels against authority is rebelling against what God has instituted. ~ Romans 13:1-2
Throughout the campaign, I encouraged people to consider character over issues, race, or gender. This morning I read the reactions of several black Americans regarding their perspective of Obama's win and I saw something new.

As much as I don't want to admit it, Obama's race was an issue. Although I did not vote for Obama, I see the potential for his presidency to influence future generations for great good. Maybe in political issues, maybe not. More so in unifying our country. 

This campaign has opened my eyes to the racial and gender prejudices that I - as a white suburban female - was able to live without seeing. 

A friend told me recently that a white man would not allow her to draw his blood in the hospital because she was black. Another was pulled over in a white suburban neighborhood because he was black. I'd heard of stuff like that but didn't realize it was happening to friends of mine. My heart is broken not just because these things happen but because I have ignored these prejudices because they didn't seem to affect me personally.

The slams on Palin have also revealed our continued stereotyping of women.

It all comes down to this, we have to look at the Creator or whatever your perspective of how we all got here. Whether through intelligent design or a big bang, the human race is in this together. We all live and breathe and communicate with words. We all have the ability to love.
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. Romans 15:5

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission