Wednesday, March 04, 2009

God will rescue me?

"Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. ~ Jeremiah 1:8
It is easy to get pumped up about God saying "don't be afraid, for I am with you" but the "and will rescue you" makes me a little nervous. Verse 19 justifies my discomfort with God's message: "they will fight against you."

I like to motivate others to get out of their comfort zone but I'm beginning to think I'd rather not stray too far from it myself. The adventure part sounds great. The fight part doesn't. I guess it's like exercise. The idea of regular exercise sounds wonderful. The reality of pushing myself to do it is another story.

The plans I had for this God-given dream were for smooth sailing. The reality feels more like trying to push a boulder uphill. Not sure I'm even trying to push. I'm pretty much just looking at about three boulders wondering why God doesn't just pick them up and move them for me. Did I mention I'm a bit lazy in this comfort zone?

How about you? Do you have a God-given dream that is not as easy as you expected it to be? Here's the hope:
"They will fight against you but will not overcome you, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. ~ Jeremiah 1:19
Still don't know what to do? Let's try this, shall we?
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture. Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him. ~ Psalm 37:3-4, 7
Wow. The 2009 Christian Writers' Market Guide I ordered yesterday is already here. That came faster than I expected. Now to dwell in it with the Lord. I guess I'll pick up that boulder.

I submit, Lord. My desire is to delight in you, not in what I do. The fight is in your hands. I will not be afraid because you are with me and will rescue me.

*********************
March 8, 2011
I just saw on my stat report that someone from Kuwait came to this page. Made me realize how differently the title "God will rescue me?" might be read. My apologies to those who come to this post with much heavier and darker circumstances than a "comfort zone." Regardless of what type of "zone" we are in, God's word is true. Jesus is risen from the dead. 

2 Peter 2:4-9 (New International Version)
For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell, putting them into gloomy dungeons to be held for judgment; if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the filthy lives of lawless men (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)-- if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgment, while continuing their punishment.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission