Thursday, July 09, 2009

Asking for Blessings - God with Us

While walking this morning I was praying for the school in our neighborhood. The typical stuff, God bless the students and teachers; protect them, yada, yada, yada.... Then God interrupted me. I love it when he does that.

Insight - God doesn't want to just bless us with good things or safe circumstances. He wants to be with us. He wants his presence to be real.

Just as Jesus was Emmanuel - "God with Us", we who have the Spirit of Christ are also Emmanuel - "God with Us." Sounds a bit bold, doesn't it? Almost scary. But I think it's true. It is up to us to bring the presence of God in the flesh to the world today. Jesus meant it when he said in John 14:12 "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father."

If we are asking for God's will, God's greatest blessing, we must also offer up ourselves to be Emmanuel for those we are praying for. Ah, so many more thoughts on this but I'll stop here for now.

This is the ultimate blessing:
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." ~ Revelation 21:3-4

They will say, "Where is this 'coming' he promised? Ever since our fathers died, everything goes on as it has since the beginning of creation." The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. ~ 2 Peter 3:4,9


No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission