Monday, June 13, 2005

A Soldier's Armor

Then Saul outfitted David as a soldier in armor. He put his bronze helmet on his head and belted his sword on him over the armor. David tried to walk but he could hardly budge. David told Saul, "I can't even move with all this stuff on me. I'm not used to this." And he took it all off. Then David took his shepherd's staff, selected five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in the pocket of his shepherd's pack, and with his sling in his hand approached Goliath.
1 Samuel 17:38-40 (The Message)


Have you ever offered to do a job you felt deep inside was meant for you to do but you didn’t “look like” others in that role?

I am a volunteer “Director of Women’s Ministry” at a church with an average weekend attendance of 1700. Quite frankly, I have the qualifications of five smooth stones against a giant. And, like David, I recognize that my abilities are not in who I am but in who God is. I spoke that fact early on and recognized its truth as I got into the responsibilities.

God has designed me just the way he wanted me. He is the one that gave me that “meant for me to do” feeling deep inside. He will use what He is developing in me to bring honor to His name.

There have been times when I’ve looked at others in this role and felt like giving up. Then God sends encouragement. “But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.” 1 Corinthians 1:27 (NIV) Just to confirm that thought, God encouraged me through an email from a friend not too long ago. She stated in a positive way that I was not like other women’s ministry leaders. I laughed when I read it. I knew the statement was true, I just wasn’t sure it was a positive thing.

I don’t think I’m killing any giants or shaming the wise and strong. But I am doing my best just to be who God made me to be. I’ve never been one to try to wear uncomfortable armor but now I’ve stepped up to the front line and I’m learning that I can be used by God without the armor.

What do you feel deep inside is meant for you to do? Step up to the front line - even if the front line is behind the scene - in the name of the Lord Almighty and be yourself to bring honor to His name.

David is fascinating. He is referred to as a man after God’s own heart in 1 Samuel 13:14. You can read about his life beginning in 1 Samuel 16 through 1 Kings 1. The Psalms he wrote reveal his passion for God both in his up times and his down times.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission