Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I Told You So

“I said to you, 'I am the LORD your God; do not worship the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you live.' But you have not listened to me." Judges 6:10

Are you the type that likes to test the boundaries? Maybe you prefer to think of it as an adventure seeker or risk taker. I will admit, I enjoy getting right up to the edge and always consider pushing the limits whether I actually do or not.

I have a rather compliant son who enjoys adventure but is not a risk taker. Then there is my daughter. Amazing how God provided a little girl through adoption who points out some interesting characteristics in me. I wonder if my Mom thought, “I told you so” as often as I do with my daughter.

Do you cry out to God in your difficult situations? Do you consider the truth that got you in those circumstances? Do you find yourself angry at God for your suffering? Would you be suffering as you are if you had listened to God from your first awareness of God?

Obedience doesn’t free us from all suffering but it will free us from meaningless pain. Sometimes my kids get bumps and bruises in the everyday activity of having fun. Yes, it hurts but the fun was worth the pain. It usually doesn’t keep them from getting back on the bicycle or running.

So it is with our suffering for the sake of Christ. The thrill of participating in his very nature is worth the trouble brought on by that experience.

The trouble we bring on ourselves by acting on our own desires brings death according to James 1:13-15.

For those snags of life brought on by the reality of this world, Jesus gives us his “I told you so.”

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33

© 2005 Lisa Biggs Crum

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission