Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Free from What?

My eight year old is blowing me away with his thoughts these days. Last night at our bedtime chat, he told me sin entered the world when the serpent “came down the tree” in the garden. Not sure where he got the idea that the serpent was in the tree but I like the imagery.

Can you see it? This beautiful creature gracefully and quietly slithering down a flowering shade tree like a hunter approaching his target dressed both to hide from his prey and be seen by his bright orange vest.

Do the animals know the hunter intends them harm? Do they enjoy their “garden” without awareness they are prey? Why do they respond to the hunter’s decoy? Did the serpent lure Eve and Adam to the trap or did he sit in the tree like a deer hunter knowing their ways, perhaps splashed with an attractive aroma, waiting for them to come to him?

When and why did the bondage of sin enter God’s created world? My husband would only go as far to agree sin came into the world with the serpent but did not corrupt creation until Adam and Eve sinned.

But I wonder...

…when does the nature of the forest change? Is it when the animal is disabled or when the hunter enters?

…is fear a physical concept or spiritual one?

...what part of me died with Christ?

…what have I been freed from?

…who is preying upon me?

…can man corrupt God’s creation or are we simply entrapped in it?

My soul has been set free from the sinful nature of this physical body. I am no longer bound by the things that entice the flesh. I am no longer defined by the body which has been corrupted by the hunter. For my soul has been set free. I am a purified soul. I have a corrupted body. The body will be consumed. The soul is eternal. I have been freed from fear.

O LORD, I have come to you for protection;

don't let me be put to shame.

Rescue me, for you always do what is right.

Bend down and listen to me;

rescue me quickly.

Be for me a great rock of safety,

a fortress where my enemies cannot reach me.

You are my rock and my fortress.

For the honor of your name, lead me out of this peril.

Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me,

for I find protection in you alone.

I entrust my spirit into your hand.

Rescue me, LORD, for you are a faithful God.

I hate those who worship worthless idols.

I trust in the LORD.

I am overcome with joy because of your unfailing love,

for you have seen my troubles,

and you care about the anguish of my soul.

You have not handed me over to my enemy

but have set me in a safe place.

Psalms 31:1-8 (NLV)

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission