Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Only Human

Have you ever said these words? – “I’m only human.” Most of us offer that phrase as an excuse for mistakes or poor behavior. As followers of Jesus Christ we are called to be more than human. “For he himself has said, ‘You must be holy because I am holy.’” (1 Peter 1:16 NLT)

To say that being “only human” allows us to behave in selfish or less than excellent ways indicates that Jesus was not human like us. True, the fullness of God lived in his human body (Colossians 2:9). But did he not come to restore us to God so that we may truly live as he lives?

We are made in the image of God – body, mind, and spirit. John 6:63 says “the spirit gives life, the flesh counts for nothing.” It is a decision of the mind whether we will focus on the body or focus on the spirit.

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Matthew 6:25,33

Like a plant fed through its invisible roots, our body is fed through our spirit. To say “I’m only human” is not an excuse. It should be a confession - a confession that our mind is set on earthly things, earthly abilities, earthly appearances, and earthly expectations.

Since you were brought back to life with Christ, focus on the things that are above--where Christ holds the highest position. Keep your mind on things above, not on worldly things. You have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God. Christ is your life. When he appears, then you, too, will appear with him in glory. Let every detail in your lives - words, actions, whatever - be done in the name of the Master, Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way. Colossians 3:1-4,17 MSG

I confess, I am only human more often than I want to be. But “because of the Lord’s great love [I am] not consumed, for his compassions never fail.” Lamentations 3:22

Additional scripture:
1 Peter 1:13-21; 2 Peter 3:10-13; Romans 12:1-2; 1 Corinthians 15:19,40; John 14:1-21

2 comments:

Susan said...

Great post! Thanks for the reminder.

:-) Susan

Sincerity said...

" It is a decision of the mind whether we will focus on the body or focus on the spirit." It is a simple truth you state... but also one of the most complicated.

This post revived thoughts and questions I have mulled over in the past. The Bible states that we fight not against flesh and blood but against the powers of darkness.

I am grateful for God's protection and guidance in my life. Only He can aid us in thinking and living as He desires.

But even so... sometimes its difficult to set my sight on things above. But I praise God because He has the victory over my life and one day I know it as He does.

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission