Saturday, December 01, 2007

Why the Cross?

“Jesus replied, ‘If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching… I will not speak with you much longer, for the prince of this world is coming. He has no hold on me, but the world must learn that I love the Father and that I do exactly what my Father has commanded me.’” John 14:23, 30-31

Have you ever tried to make contemporary sense of the crucifixion? I can give you plenty of “Sunday school answers.” You know them too. He paid the debt for my sins. There had to be a blood sacrifice greater than the animal sacrifice of the Old Testament. I don’t doubt those responses but I found in the above scripture something that makes sense for today’s culture.

Although the prince of this world is making some advancement otherwise, basic human nature values life above anything else. Our instinct is to protect our life.

Jesus chose death not because he devalued life but because he wanted us to learn how to trust the Father completely.

Does the prince of this world have a hold on you? The Father will ask few of us to go through death like Christ but none of us have seen the glory of the Father like Jesus had. Many of us have, however, experienced the peace that passes understanding.

I’m not currently in that state of peace. I’m in the garden asking if there is some other way. I feel the sweat even as I type. I’d like to return to the place of peace. I know it is worth the agony. Will I follow the example of Christ and trust the Father by doing exactly what He commands?

If I am to be a fully devoted follower of Jesus Christ, I will.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission