Friday, November 30, 2007

The Little Way

“It is, in short, to seek out the menial job, to welcome unjust criticisms, to befriend those who annoy us, to help those who are ungrateful.” (Foster, Prayer, p 62)

I am slowly making my way through Richard Foster’s Prayer – Finding the Heart’s True Home. The pace is due to the desire to apply his insights to my life.

Today’s segment of reading is on a classical approach to Formation Prayer. Looking back at the beginning of the chapter I am reminded that “the primary purpose of prayer is to bring us into such a life of communion with the Father that, by the power of the Spirit, we are increasingly conformed to the image of the Son.”

With that thought in mind, read the opening quote above. What opportunities come to mind for you to be increasingly conformed to the image of the Son?

Jesus, you came to provide all the power we need for life and godliness. Why do I busy myself with the big things when you more often showed love in the little ways? The woman at the well, the woman caught in adultery, the woman healed by touching your clothing, blessing the little children around you. Who have I not entered into relationship with because it didn’t fit in my schedule or my expectations?

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission