Friday, August 07, 2009

What it "will be"?

I just read a good post titled "What is Heaven Like?" I like Tracy Berta's blog. And I recommend it as a regular read. I want to add just a bit to her thoughts which end up at the same place I'm emphasizing.

Her title is a great question. Then she goes into what heaven will be as if it doesn't yet exist which seems to be the general slant of many churchians. Again, it's a great post, so be sure to read all the way to the end. She gives a beautiful and honest picture of worship in the church along with the freedom of children worshiping.

Now, here's the thing I want to bring out more. Jesus brought heaven to us. Heaven is the reign of God. Oh, it's not complete yet and there is still opposition on the field. But he told us it is near and I don't think he was talking about time.

Jesus says to his disciples in Matthew 16:19 "I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." He repeats this in Matthew 18:18 after speaking earlier in that chapter about the necessity to become like little children in order to enter heaven.

As Tracy said, those children she mentions in her blog post are showing us what heaven IS like now, not what it will be like.

The thing we might want to think about is what are we binding and loosening right now. Because I think heaven will be much more similar to what it IS in our life right now than we think.

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission