Thursday, May 05, 2005

Agree?

Matthew 18:19 "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven.”

Is this instructions on how to get God to do what you and a friend want? This has always been an interesting scripture to me. It seems so often our prayers are more like wish lists to Santa or, even worse, our instructions or “honey-do” list to God. We are the bride, right?

A friend recently enlightened me on this scripture. Three of us were truly experiencing the presence of God as we prayed. I vocalized a few words that were on my heart and she responded with “hallelujah.” Later she stated that she feels “agreeing in prayer” is not an act on our part but a condition in which the Holy Spirit is speaking the same thing in the hearts of two or more people.

That was an “ah-ha” moment for me. I have often experienced what she described but her explanation brought clarity.

Years ago I began to understand that to “ask in the name of Jesus” was to ask according to God’s will. But not until my friend shared her perspective of “agreeing in prayer” did I realize that it is not up to my efforts/abilities to figure out what God’s will is. The Holy Spirit speaks it to us as we pray, listening for his input into our conversations.

My friend was agreeing with me in prayer as she also heard from God what I spoke out loud. It really wasn’t our thoughts, it was our being united by the Spirit.

Sharing what God places inside us with others in community is invigorating. We really do need each other.

© 2005 Lisa Biggs Crum

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission