Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Comfort Zone

"There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears, and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call ... THE TWILIGHT ZONE." Rod Serling

I like Sci-Fi. The original Twilight Zone is older than I am but I like the reruns. The opening narration by Rod Serling quoted above is fascinating as I think of this spiritual formation stuff that's going on in me.

There is a lot of talk today about the "authentic self" versus the "false self." I suppose the false self can be what used to be called our comfort zone. It's a strange concept that we would be comfortable in not being who we really are.

I am currently in the Twilight Zone. Just as Rod Serling stated, I'm in the middle ground between the shadow I thought was me and the light of who I really am; between human understanding and God's perspective; between fears that look for affirmation of man and the summit of truth. Unlike Serling, it is not the dimension of imagination. It is very real. More real than the comfort zone I'm departing from. But it is very much a twilight zone.

It is a place where I can see the beauty of the light in the horizon but it is not yet fully exposed. A place where the comfort zone I once clung to is forever behind me and the truth of who I am is yet to be fully known.

I thought the comfort zone was comfortable. The idea of stepping out of it masqueraded itself as fear of leaving comfort. In reality, it was fear of the Twilight Zone - that area that we must grow through but not intended to be a place of lasting comfort. The lasting comfort comes at the other side of the Twilight Zone - where we will know fully even as we are fully known.

We can choose to stay in the comfort zone of today or move on closer to the horizon. Each step brings a bit of fear but also the ever changing hues that add indescribable beauty to the backdrop of life as we move toward the source of light.

Step into The Twilight Zone. It's better than you imagine.

© 2005 Lisa Biggs Crum

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission