Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Wife's Primary Career

Based on 1 Timothy 5:14, Kay Arthur states that the wife’s primary career is to manage her home. Ouch! I don’t want that to be my primary career. I want all the good stuff of home and family to be just one of those things that happens in the midst of living the life I want to live.

Doesn’t work that way, does it? God whispered to me (a very loud, clear whisper) as Kay was speaking on “A Marriage without Regret.”

I love my husband. I love my kids. I like to have a clean house and feed my family healthy meals. As leader of women’s ministry, I always tell new leaders that ministry should benefit the family even though it takes away time. I haven’t been living what I speak. I have cheated my family with the mindset that family is a shared responsibility.

Yesterday, I tested out Kay’s comments. After school, I offered to let my kids have friends over to play before they asked. I set up the fun water stuff without them begging or even helping much. They had a blast and I experienced inner peace.

This morning, I did a few household chores before sitting down to write and work. Normally, I would put those things off until I’d had some time to do what I enjoy more. Now I can sit and do the things I enjoy with peace of mind.

Our society seems to place on women the need to prove that we are equal to men. There is no doubt that is true. We are all created in the image of God, male and female. If He intended for us to be the same, there would have been no need to create two genders.

Don’t get bent out of shape about this concept. I did not hear God whispering to me that I should quit everything I enjoy to manage my house, husband and kids. Manage does not mean do it all myself. A manager directs. Ha! I am a Director of our home. That's a powerful position in a large corporation. Many husbands would love to have that power. God gave that position to every wife.

I like Kay’s use of the word “primary.” When there is a primary, there is something else that follows. God began teaching me about Primary Concerns over a year ago. At that time, I wrote out some thoughts regarding the Enron Corporation. Everything we do should benefit our primary concern. Enron collapsed because individuals began looking to benefit themselves rather than the primary concern of the corporation.

My primary concern is to listen and obey God. He has created us, male and female, in his image. He tells us in His word how we can be equal and compliment each other rather than compete. Proverbs 3:5-6 promises that He will guide us if we trust Him rather than depending on our own understanding. His way is always perfect.

I don’t believe this to be true. I have experienced it.

Peace be with you!

© 2005 Lisa Biggs Crum

No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission