Friday, January 02, 2009

Doin' the Stuff

We cannot do the goals I posted yesterday on our own power. Below are some verses that have come to mind and spoken boldly to me this morning. For now, I give you only the scriptures. I may comment more later.

Turn in your Bible (or go to www.Crosswalk.com - classic version) and read these verses in context. Ask the Holy Spirit to reveal the mind of God to you as you read. I'd love to hear what God reveals to you. If you see something new to you, please post a brief comment to share with others.

I [Jesus] have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate [helper], the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. John 14:25-26 (NRS)


The Jews were astonished at it [Jesus' teaching], saying, "How does this man have such learning, when he has never been taught?" Then Jesus answered them, "My teaching is not mine but his who sent me. Anyone who resolves to do the will of God will know whether the teaching is from God or whether I am speaking on my own. Those who speak on their own seek their own glory; but the one who seeks the glory of him who sent him is true, and there is nothing false in him. John 7:15-18 (NRS)


While staying with them, he [Jesus] ordered them not to leave Jerusalem, but to wait there for the promise of the Father. "This," he said, "is what you have heard from me; for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."
So when they had come together, they asked him, "Lord, is this the time when you will restore the kingdom to Israel?" He replied, "It is not for you to know the times or periods that the Father has set by his own authority. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:4-8 (NRS)


For what human being knows what is truly human except the human spirit that is within? So also no one comprehends what is truly God's except the Spirit of God. Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit that is from God, so that we may understand the gifts bestowed on us by God. And we speak of these things in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual things to those who are spiritual. Those who are unspiritual do not receive the gifts of God's Spirit, for they are foolishness to them, and they are unable to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 2:11-14 (NRS)


For, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved." But how are they to call on one in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in one of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone to proclaim him? And how are they to proclaim him unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!" But not all have obeyed the good news; for Isaiah says, "Lord, who has believed our message?" So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the word of Christ. Romans 10:13-17 (NRS)
Please share what you hear from the Holy Spirit as you study these scriptures. If you share, I'll share more. :) Sunday School answers don't count. I want to know what God is saying directly to you or what questions these verses create in you.

You can post anonymously or leave your name. If you'd rather email me, that's ok too. LBigCrum@sbcglobal.net


No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission