Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Renewing Your Mind

You cannot eliminate a thought by fighting it or trying to block it out. Resisting an unwanted thought only entangles you and drives that thought deeper into your mind, making it even more of a distraction. Tommy Newberry, The 4:8 Principle

Wow! I found this to be so true a few years ago when I was struggling with an addiction to online chat rooms. I would cry out to God to keep me away or take away the desire to chat every time I walked by the computer. 

Finally, sitting in front of the computer one day, trying desperately to resist the desire to respond to an Instant Message from someone I'd met in a chat room, I heard God gently say "look at me."

At that point, I quit holding my struggle up to God and focused totally on him. Much easier to see him when there's nothing in the way.

Are you struggling with anything? Fear, worries, finances, relationships, health? Instead of talking to God about your struggles, just talk to him about who he is. I promise, that will make all your struggles seem minor when you remember them again.

Let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Romans 12:2 (NLT)


No comments:

the mission:
PROCLAIM the good news; HEAL the sick and oppressed; BRING JUSTICE
~ Luke 4:16-20

Anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing (John 14:12)
~ Jesus 


Copyright 2005-2010 Lisa Biggs Crum
Email LisaCrum@Grow2Sow.org for reprint permission